Re: Exhaust Problem

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 02:47:44 -0500 (EST) Speriod Ducum <htay@indiana.edu>
writes:
>I am having problems with my exhaust too.....  it does not seem to be
>blowing smoke when the engine is hot, but it blows some blue smoke
>when i
>start the car cold and then the smoke will trickle off to a constant
>wisp........

Check your airbox for oil. You could have oil in the system and when you
start the car, the oil that has pooled is being drawn into the engine. I
had a big problem a while ago with the oil just flowing into the intake
system and after ive driven it hard I would have a nice puddle that would
drip from the air intake hose. Check it! It may not be the sole reason
for the smoke, but if its blue smoke, then its oil that's being burned.
The quest you have is to determine where its comming from.
If no oil, check your spark plugs after you run the car for about 15-20
seconds. See if they are oil soaked. Check them all as you may only have
ONE that is burning oil. If that's the case then you may only have a
leaky valve seal. Check it!

>anoth thing is that it is blowing water droplets out of the
>exhaust too!!!!!!!!!!  is that a problem??????????  is there a leak
>somewher out there going into my exhaust system?????

Natural occurrence. Especially when the car is cold. When you park the
car, especially at night, moisture condenses on the inside of the exhaust
system. Then when you spark up the car in the morning, you see water
flying out of the exhaust tip.
Having a rich fuel system will sometimes add to this but will eventually
clear out when the OX sensor warms up and the car is warmed.

HP has always been kinda low though......

>alfred
>8v 1985 scirocco

its an 8V, its sopposed to be low. 90hp is still 90 hp!  :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and