Re: Throttle Body Hell

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 13:45:06 -0600 Iain Mannix <mannix@privatei.com>
writes:

> Never stripped a CV bolt, FWIW.

Boy, I sure have! But this was on my apparently origional inner CV's.
Mike and I both struggled with them bolts when we installed my new
tranny. Every other time that I had removed the tranny, I removed it with
the axles still bolted on the tranny. (I didn't have the tool for the
bolts back then.)  Liquid Wrench didn't do much for us. We ended up using
a pair of vice grips on most of them. We would remove one or two and
trade off. By then we were so worn out in just removing a couple that we
needed a break from it. Id say it took us 4 hours to get all 12 bolts out
of the inner CV's. That sucked.

Id have to agree, depending on the partictular climate, each car will
have "rust prone" areas. I've had a few stuck bolts/screw on my Scirocco
and I live in the best climate in the world. (My opinion of course.<EG>)
I find that the underside of the car gets the corrosive action from
driving through the rains ect. Everything above the level of the axles is
fine with the exception of the exhaust system. That is a problemed area
ive come across in the junk yards. Even on my GLi ive snapped a stud that
holds the wire for the ox sensor. I later found out that this little stud
is really important. It keeps the ox wire from getting into the steering
rack and shorting out the fuel pump fuse. 15 fuses later I found the
problem but still.... Thank god for tie wraps!

Just the same, the best thing ive found is Liquid Wrench. Even when I was
in the military we went out and bought our own LW just so we would have
that mechanical advantage on our birds. They don't see any of the
corrosive road compounds like road vehicles but just the same, the
underside skin pannels would trap moisture and the screws would corrode a
little. LW saved many days for me back then.

Heres a tip that some of you may have used before and if you've never
heard of it, don't scoff, it works.
If you have a stuck screw and you've kinds muffed the head a little you
can try a little "Comet" on the tip of your screwdriver and that will
give you a little more grip. (Comet as in the powder cleanser in the
green can with the little holes in the top.) Be sure the head of the
screw is dry first or it don't work. The tip of the screw driver can be a
little damp to hold the comet to the tip. I've also used this with much
success in the past but then again, its been a long time since i've
removed belly pannels.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and