Re: Fuel filters...

> Hey guys, had a question for ya!
>
> My 80 Scirocco has a fuel filter near the pump and (since I upgraded
> injection) one a the fuel distributor.....now when I first got this car
> running, the fuel filter in the rear started to leak, I had my 79 parts
> car right there, so I grabbed the one off of there, now that one is
> leaking....do these things do that on purpose when they get full? (I
> noticed a small screw that looked like a blow-off valve)...I do have a
> dented fuel line, is this causing my pressure to be too high?(I've had
> problems with my fuel pump fuses blowing too...is this the clogged
> filter?)...
>
> Eric

I'm not familiar with a fuel filter in the rear of the early cars, is
this a retrofit of some kind?  Could you be refering to a canister
behind the passenger side rear tire?  This canister has 2 lines attached
to at the same (forward) end and is actually called an accumulator.
Inside (I know because I sawed one in half :-) ) is a tightly wound
spring with a plate attached to the end near the fuel end.  This is
designed to generate a more even fuel pressure flow for the engine.
The canister gets fuel from the pump, the spring/plate combo absorb
pump pressure irregularities, and the fuel goes up to the engine.
Now, it sounds like your fuel pressure plate seal is leaking, replace
the whole unit.  I'm not sure how much these things cost, but I'm guessing
that a junk yard unit from as late a model as you can get would be
a good way to go.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

==Brett