RE>Rear Deck solution

I built a deck simular to what you described. I have some tips.
1) Get the plastic ends and a stock front support from  a deck to make the
hinge.
2) Use wood for the other supports. Glue and screw it.
3) Use "bungy" type shock line for the straps.
4) Fasten the deck in place when driving with a tiestrap to the center
support at the rear of the trunk.
5) Fasten the front ends of the deck hinge to your rear tie bar with shock
line.
6)  Automotive carpet works great.
7) mount amps and speakers out of sight.

I still have my stock deck too and it is in mint condition.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco.

Message text written by Chris Mende
>Rear Deck solution:

I'd like to run this idea past you guys on the list...

As mentioned by numerous ppl here, their rear deck is falling apart, and
rubber straps have long since busted.

I've contemplated getting 1/2" plywood, painting it w/ black latex,
cutting speaker holes and covering it w/ automotive carpet. And since you
don't want it cracking in half, it's easy to get ahold of L-shaped
aluminum bars which would be easy to drill and attach as supports from
below.

What ya'll think??

As for replacement straps, wouldn't it be possible to fashion something
out of nylon, or something similar?<