Re[2]: Flywheel

     DO NOT try this at home unless you are a pro and can balance it.  An
     half-ass lightened unbalanced flywheel can cause havoc on your lower
     half of the engine.  i.e. berings, crank.

     Also, DO NOT take it to your average V8 muscle car shop, take it to a
     Euro-tuner first and foremost.

     Remember, VW engineers are not idiots (hmmm, wonder if they have
     Bently's :))  your car was engineered to both perform well and perform
     for a long time.  So unless your car is an all out race car, and you
     have deep pockets, start small and work your way up.  Spend your money
     on driving lessons first, because a good/great driver in a stock car
     will probably out drive a modified vehicle with an unskilled driver.
     (I am not talking about drag racing BTW)  Driving lessons & good tires
     should be every racers beginnings.  It kills me to see a tricked out
     modified car running no-name mismatced tires.  Ooops, I am rambling.

     -Paul
     90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v
     87 Scirocco 16v
     87 Jetta GLi
     63 Bug

Subject: Re: Flywheel
Date:    10/07/97 8.24 am

Any good auto machine shop should be able to do this in a couple of hours.
Performance shops do it all the time - so unless you live way out in the
sticks, there should be someone who can do it locally. I would recommend the
speed shop unless you know the auto shop has experience, though.

If my lathe was bigger, I would not be afraid to try this mod at home. It
does occur to me that you need to re-balance the wheel after you trim it -
maybe this is a good reason NOT to do it at home?

If you get a flywheel resurfaced - does that affect the balance? Not sure.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)
'58 Ghia Convert