porting and polishing

     I own a Heavily modified 85 Scirocco  (Techtonics 2.0L conversion with
Knock sensor retrofit ,and G-grind cam )  I'm wondering whether or not
installing sport valve springs in my head with give me any "real" gains
  what RPM will I be able to rev to safely   and would it even unlock any
useable horsepower since my engine is so "under square" (92.8 mm crank 83.0
mm pistons)   Also , does anyone have any experience with porting thier heads
and intake manifold by themselves? ie: buying a porting and polishing kit and
doing it themselves? or is that sort of thing best left to the guys with the
flow benches?   TheDude511@aol.com    thanks!