Re: Aftermarket Electronic Ignition

>	Okay, I'm going to plead complete ignorance on this one.  I hear talk
>of points and electronic ignition systems, and now this infrared
>bizness.  Is there a big advantage of one over the other?  Logic (my
>logic, anyway) would state that the points are probably limited to a
>certain rpm for reasons that are beyond me.  Therefore, the electronic
>ignition steps in to cure this problem.  Okay, so now the infrared is
>here...Is it better than the electronic setup?  In what way?  Thanks for
>your help.  I dunno why I have sucha hard time with the basics, but
>that's life I s'pose.
>
>jason
>87 16V

Yes, the points are definitely limited mechanically. They can only open and
close SO fast, then they start to float and miss sparks.

Infrared is electronic. The difference is in how the timing is sensed.
Infrared uses an interrupter in the distributor to break a light beam, which
fires the coil. The stock VW system uses a 'Hall sensor' that detects timing
magnetically. No difference in performance.

A possible drawback to the optical setup is that dust can collect in the
sensor and cause it to malfunction. This is not an issue with the 'Hall' type.

Neither 'Hall' or infrared by itself is a 'high energy' system, but either
can be used to trigger one...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)