Re: Rear Parcel Shelf Loose

Message text written by Gregory Davis
>On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Wayne Cressman wrote:

> The rear parcel shelf on my '86 16v has come loose because two plastic
slots
> it fits into just behind the left and right of the rear seat have broken.
> found two more at a junkyard but the only way I can fit them is to
glue/tape
> them on, as they appear to be an integral fitting.  The glue/tape doesn't
> work for long as they're supporting a heavy fitting, the rear parcel
shelf,
> which shifts around a little during 'spirited' driving.  Anyone have a
> suggestions for a fix or a replacement part that will do the trick.<

The clip just twists and snaps in. I have several of them that I got from
junk yards and they fit and work fine.
The Cabrolet uses the same part too. I also have a strap that goes to each
side of my upper rear
stress bar. This strap pulls down on the shelf and keeps the noise down. I
also tie the rear part of the shelf
to the "back wall center support" to prevent the shelf from lifting during
driving. Often the bar is what get
loose and it requires some brackets. I have retrieved two shelves from the
junk yard and the all the clips,
pins and brackets. I have also made my own shelf with a stereo power
amplifier and speakers in it. If you
just keep working at it you will find the best way to fix your problem.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"