Re: Rear Parcel Shelf Loose

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Wayne Cressman wrote:

> The rear parcel shelf on my '86 16v has come loose because two plastic slots
> it fits into just behind the left and right of the rear seat have broken.  I
> found two more at a junkyard but the only way I can fit them is to glue/tape
> them on, as they appear to be an integral fitting.  The glue/tape doesn't
> work for long as they're supporting a heavy fitting, the rear parcel shelf,
> which shifts around a little during 'spirited' driving.  Anyone have a
> suggestions for a fix or a replacement part that will do the trick.

Stop by your dealer and get/order a new piece.  They are relatively cheap
from what I remember.  There's a plastic pin that goes in (from top?) that
holds the piece in place.  Been a while since I replaced mine.  Some
pieces just aren't worth screwing around with from a junk yard... Good
luck!

Greg :)

Gregory S. Davis
1985 Euro-Spec Scirocco       http://members.iglou.com/scirocco

Member & Webmaster -- Cincinnati Volkswagen Club

"GAK Motorsports.....Your source for European License Plates!"
http://members.iglou.com/scirocco/gakmotor.htm