HELPPPPP!! Need VIN info pronto!

I'm settling with my insurance co and I desperately need info from you
guys. Can someone explain the difference in VIN classification between a
16 V and an 8V? After my 16V was stolen, I only had one copy of the
nubber written down:

WVWCA 0532HK000076

Now my insurance is trying to tell me that the 4th and 5th digits (CA)
designates an 8 Valve whereas (CB) designates a 16V.
I know this was not an engine swap. It has the tailights, spoiler, 1/2
naugahyde interior, rear disks, larger front disks, and ENGINE of the 16V.

I can think of only 2 possible explanations for this.
1) The original owner/doofus wrote the number down wrong (I've used this
source for everything  instead of looking at the original dash plate.

2) The insurance co. is wrong. They use a Candian valuation publication
called The Red Book which claims that CA=8, CB=16.

Please help if you can. much appreciated.

Greg