Re: H20 Pump Pulley Crisis

> Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to  replace the water pump on my '82.  I have to remove the a/c
> > bracket to access the bolts holding the pump to  the block, and have to
> > remove the lower timing belt cover to access the bolts holding the bracket,
> > and have to remove the pulley from the water pump hub to get the
> > now-detached cover out of position.  I can't get any of the three 6mm hex
> > hole bolts which attach the pulley to the hub to budge, primarily (I think)
> > due to my inability to satisfactorily anchor the pulley to prevent it from
> > turning.
> >
> > I've tried putting two 6mm hex keys in two of the bolts and using a box
> > wrench around one and against the other  to hold while I attacked the 3rd
> > with the rachet (and every remotely sane-seeming variant on this theme,
> > using any combinations of tools I could throw at it), and I've tried using
> > one of those cinch-belt oil filter wrench dealies to hold the pulley.  I did
> > the Liquid Wrench spray-and-tap thing, and repeated my earlier failure.
> >
> > If I don't fix this tonight, I'm facing a pretty miserable week; I'll check
> > back hourly!!!
> >
> > Not Having Very Much Fun Right About Now,
> > Jeff
>

> 	Ok, this is how I do it,  get a big strong flat scredriver and put it
> between one bolt and the centre of the pulley  this will give you a
> three point hold (one being the bolt and two being the sides of centre
> of the pulley sides), now you'll need some elbow grease and the bolts
> should go.  You should wedge the scredriver, I hope my discription is
> clear enough for you to visualize how to do it.
>
> vagabond

Try heating up the bolts with a propane blowtorch.  Works like a charm.  Dont
strip the hot bolt-heads though, or you'll REALLY have fun.
(ViseGrips),swearing, bloody knuckles.

The first time I took off my h2o pulley, I just squashed it with visegrips and
used a hand-held allen key.  A new pulley was only 10 bucks or so, and I saved
a lot of time.  The old pulley was all ugly and rusted anyway.  :)

I put a tiny bit of white grease on all the bolts that I remove-replace on my
car.  Hopefully this will keep corrosion out and make disassembly easier in the
future......  Am I being a dummy?  I hope all these bolts won't work their way
out, having been lubed.??

Anyone?

thanx
Chad Ptasinski