tech: welding on the block help

well, her'es my problem, on my 1.8L block i'm missing
the bolt-hole that the power steering pump rear bracket
bolts onto. I have the short bolt one but the long bolt hole,
the one to the passenger side, near the corner of the block is
snapped off. So my ps pump puts a lot of torque on this
and i've snapped 2 of those big brackets...Is there any way to
weld onto the block? I don't think so because it's cast, and porus
metal right? Also the bummer deal is..it's also broke on my 2.0L
block, so I need a good fix for both blocks. Also is there a belt
I can use to just connect the water pump to the crank, and maybe
convery my car to an older style rack and pinion assisted steering,
I know it's not power steering but it's a little better than
no-steering.

thanks

Ryan