Re: Dem lobes

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:04:44 -0800 pete&marcia <marpete@eskimo.com>
writes:
>That dark color you see is oxidized oil, which isn,t good. It is caused
>by our beloved friend heat. I can't recall ever seeing a high milage
>v.w. that did not have this. Just make sure you change your oil often
>and keep your cooling system in good shape and you should have no
>worries.

Right Andy! But also remember that this is not a bad thing since VW
engines are designed to run a little hotter than most cars. Id say that
what you are seeing is absolutely normal.

>  V.W. cams use the finest german metallurgy. I once tested the hardness
>of a cam at work and it was 65 RC. which is pretty damn hard!
>                   Andy

I cant agree or dissagree since I know very little about German made cams
other than that Neuspeed buys the German billets to make all their cams
from so it is probably a good thing. At the same time, if you don't break
in a cam properly (Basically your tempering the cam is all your doing.)
it will wear prematurely.
There was a thread a long while ago in the VW NG about how HOR cams
tended to flatten out soon after they were installed. Well, the it turned
out that most of the "enthusiasts" were installing the cam and right away
driving the crap out of it to feel the gains ect and not following the
manufacturers break in instructions. (Metallurgy tests on these flattened
cams showed they had not been tempered properly hence the fast wear,
especially on a 272 or a 260 cam that has a high slope profile.) The HOR
cams are German made also.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan/meze/hello/