Re: Beware of Virus

Whoa whoa whoa.

This kind of thing has been floating around WAY too many times. It's a
hoax, pure and simple. Anyone remember the "GOODTIMES" email that was to
have claimed to do the same thing? It was proven over and over that it's
just a hoax.

First, it's not possible that an email can delete your entire hard drive
all on it's own, you need to be specifically asked to run a program.
(That's why I'm leary anytime I get an email with an executable file
attached where someone says "Hey, run this program, it's really cool!"

Secondly, it depends on what kind of system you're reading your mail on.
(I defy any email to wipe the drive on my unix fileserver!  *grin* )

It's understandable the fear that these things raise, but that's what they
thrive on, and before we end up spreading this SPAM any farther, let's
just let it die.

It's a hoax, it's a hoax, it's a hoax.

*gets down off his pulpit* Thanks! :)

~C
'84 Wolfsburg

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, sean wrote:

|If you receive an e-mail titled, "JOIN THE CREW", DO NOT open it!  It
|will erase EVERYTHING on your hard drive.  Send this letter out to as
|many people as you can.  This is a new virus and not many people know
|about it as yet.  This information was received this morning from IBM.
|Please share it!
|
|Also, if anyone receives mail entitled, "PENPAL GREETINGS!", please
|delete it WITHOUT reading it! This is a dangerous virus propagating
|across the Internet thru e-mail.  It appears to be a friendly letter,
|but by the time you read it, its too late.  It uses the Trojan Horse
|Virus and will have already infected the boot sector of your hard drive,
|
|destroying all of the data present.  It is a self-replicating virus, and
|
|once the message is read it will AUTOMATICALLY forward itself to anyone
|whose address is in your mailbox.
|
|Hope this might prevent someone major problems.

|--
|To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to scirocco-L-request@privateI.com,
|with your request (subscribe, unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-294-6658