Re: Timing Belt Quest.

> Anyone on the list please help.
>
> Yesterday on my way to work my timing belt went on my 87 8v,  I was
> hoping to replace the CV Joints this weekend.  Question was the engine
> affected when the Timing belt went, and can just reeplacing the timing
> belt help fix the problem.  I own a Bentlys manual, but it is not with me
> right now So if any one knows the specifi tools that I may need,  pleaase
> feel free to help me out.
>
> If the car can not be fixed, I guess off to the junk yard or put it up
> for sale for parts.
>
> Please Help.
>
> Kilimanjaro
> e-mail: killa@coe.neu.edu

Well, the way I understand it, the stock 1.8 JH engine is not an interference
engine.  So just reset all the gears to TDC and reinstall a new Conti belt.
It sounds simple, but it can be difficult.  If you're not experienced in this,
get someone else to do it.  As far as special tools, none needed really.  Just
the usual metric wrenches, sockets, and allen sockets & keys.  I had a real
hell-of-time doing this job once.  Remember my 'just-fix-it' post several
months ago? :-)

Get your manual, the drawings and procedures will help quite a bit.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

==Brett