Scirocco Track Report

The trustly ITC Scirocco survived the drivers school with no major problems
and only one minor problem.

First the details.... 6 track sessions , each lasting between 35 and 45
minutes on Texas World Speedway (part of the oval and the infield road
course, 1.9 miles).
About 40 cars in the closed wheel group, including GT1 - GT3 cars, 6
Ferrari Cup cars, over a dozen Spec Racer Fords, a couple of Baby Grands
and a whole host of IT cars...... A real mixed bag and at times a very
crowded track!

First let me say that the Scirocco is a fine car for what it is, but it
does not belong and should not be in the same race as a 600hp GT1 Corvette
or a swarm of Cup prep'ed Ferraris...... Spooky! The ITC cars are slow
metal on a track like this, but the experience was a thriller. Max speed at
the end of the frt straight, diving off the banking into turn 1, about
120mph tops, maybe more if I could get a good draft going. I could catch
most of the cars on the tight stuff and passed many, but the straight was a
killer.

What cars could I get by and pull from? Saab 99ems, Triumph Spitfires,
Rabbit, a few Neon's, some 12a RX7's, an Alfa Alfetta GTV6, and some
Sprites. The Scirocco did well, out powering  and out handling many cars in
higher classes (ITB mostly). Total full-race speed track time was over 3
1/2 hours and the only problems (minor) were:

	1.  a small leak on an oil cooler hose
	2. a cooked alternator, about 50% , shaft bearings are fried

The car ran cool, much cooler than I had expected. The alternator failure
is a common thing. The VW alternator was NEVER designed to spin - up to
7300 rpm for 3 1/2 hours. I am in the process of fabricating a larger
diameter pulley that should solve my high rpm alternator problem.

Highlight of the day : Passing a Spec Racer Ford , 3 abreast going into the
corner 3.

I'll post a more detailed report and info on the alternator upgrade on my
page in the near future.

Harry
hjones1@airmail.net
http:\\web2.airmail.net\hjones1