From: skerocdriver@juno.com (Shawn C Meze)
To: rts@phoenix.net
Cc: scirocco-l@privateI.com
Subject: Re: [help] 8v cis-e speed limit prob
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 01:17:29 EST

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 22:37:00 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@phoenix.net>
writes:
>a friend has a 1986 8v Jetta cis-e (jetronic) which looks and i think
>is the same engine in the sciroccos, he's experiencing a problem, he
>cant get the car to go above 100mph. he says he can get about 90
>in 4th then in 5th it just wont go past 100, is there a governor or
>some thing else? he just had the distributor cap replaced and
>everything looked ok to me. his full throttle switch is being engaged
>but maybe that switch is bad? would that cause no speeds past 100mph?
>thanks
>Ryan

Nope gov as far as I know. It might be old, worn and low on power, and
combined with the close ratio tranny, simply won't pull it. I know that
in my 86 GLi, in 5th gear @ 100 mph its screaming at 5,000 rpm's! Yikes!
I've never had it over that because of the high rpms. Its just not worth
it until I swap the .89 5th gear out with my .71 that's still sitting on
my bench. (Im collecting all the parts needed to do the job all at once.)
So, maybe that's his problem? Does he have a ton of stuff in the car?

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
-- To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to
scirocco-L-request@privateI.com, with your request (subscribe,
unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.