Tint Removal

Hello, all...

As I mentioned in a reply to someone, I found the magazine article
about removing window tint with soapy water and trash bags.  It's
attached to this message, and is in text format, so Notepad will open
it (or any word processor, for that matter).

I haven't tried this, BTW, because I've never had tinted windows, but
the people who use this method tint windows for photo shoots, and
have to remove the tint, too.  They swear it works, but, as always,
YMMV...

Hope it helps!

Carlee

'77 Scirocco, broken
'78 Scirocco, organ donor
Several Beetles

The Easy Way to Remove Window Tint

What You'll Need

32-oz. a spray bottle
razor blades
scissors
body filler spreader or plastic putty knife
dishwashing liquid without lemon scent
dark, heavy-duty trash or lawn bags

The temperature should be between 70 and 80 degrees, and this procedure should be performed
indoors, or at least out of direct sunlight.

1.   Mix 1/2 teaspoon dish soap and water in spray bottle.
2.   Cut trash bags to overlap window edges by 3 or 4 inches.  You need only one layer of
          thickness.
3.   Spray inside of window generously with soap solution, especially the edges.
4.   Place bag over inside of window and press against window with hands.
5.   With spreader, tuck edges of bag into window frame(s).
6.   Now, spray the outside of the bag with soap solution.
7.   Close the door.
8.   Repeat as needed on other window(s).
9.   Wait one hour.
10.  Begin removing tint at one edge.
11.  Don't stop until tint is completely removed, and don't let the tint touch the window.

Any scratches or holes in the tint will split off from the main sheet; if this happens, start them at
the edge and try to remove the whole thing as one.

You will probably have some patches of glue left behind; remove these with a razor blade or fine
steel wool and soap solution.

This procedure comes from:
Quigley, John.  Chasing Shadows:  Popular Hot Rodding, December 1997, pg. 92 - 95.