Re: (Fwd) Upgrades

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Kyle D Binney wrote:

> Actually the more I think about it this may be a valid point.  The CV's
> are going to change their angle relative to the ground as you change
> height  of the car.  The length of the CV will push or pull the joints
> which do have some play.  this would cause a cv to wear in a different
> place.  think about it.  However My friends and I seem to be ok with our
> 1" drops.  Still makes me think.
>
> Kyle

On a VW, the axles are basically the pivot point of the wheel, so
making the shaft longer is not really necessary.  The hub never really
gets any closer to the transaxle, whereas on other cars, it may.  When you
lift a Jeep/4wd vehicle, driveshafts often have to be made longer.  The
control arm on a VW pivots so close to the transaxle, that the length
never changes.  Also, as far as CV wear relative to lowering, the joints
are at an angle from the factory - lowering 1.5" or so probably *lessens*
CV wear, and lowering 3" probably puts the whole thing back close to
stock.  I have never hard of VWs having a problem with lowering, and I
cannot see why it would be a problem.  It *can* be a problem, but I don't
see it as one on VWs.  IMHO, could be wrong, but I don't see it, and I
have had more than my share of driveline related failures due to ride
height changes.

Mannix