Re: (Fwd) Upgrades (aka CV's)

At 12:34 PM 5/29/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Actually the more I think about it this may be a valid point.  The CV's
>are going to change their angle relative to the ground as you change
>height  of the car.
>
>Kyle

Everybody look! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK...........

CV's are fully designed to opperate normally at the suspensions full range
of flex. Whether fully compressed or nearly fully extended. (Note that
running your car in gear while on jack stands can damage CV's. It wont happ
en the second you do it, it will dammage the CV if you do it for some
extended period of time)

Lowering a car does absolutely nothing to hurt a CV. (On a VW) On the
contrary, look at the axle's angle on a lowered car and whats different?
Well, it looks like my axle is straighter. (RIGHT!) Yah, because it is. Its
not quite a straight shot from the tranny to the wheel hub, but pretty
close!

What does that mean? Well, math dictates that there will be less resistance
in something going in a straight line. All that jazz. So, quite possible,
there is a ever so small performance gain in lowering a VW suspension.

The only disadvantage to lowering a VW is you only have 4" of suspension
travel to begin with. Unless you choose other methods to lower a VW ( strut
tower mod/ shock tower mod) then your gonna be loosing suspension travel.
I'll also say that if you lower a VW too much, handeling can suffer instead
of improve. (More of that math geometry stuff!) Although I know of one 85
GTi that has got its wheels well up into the fender and he absolutely
dominates DSP.......

> The length of the CV will push or pull the joints
>which do have some play.  this would cause a cv to wear in a different
>place.  think about it.  However My friends and I seem to be ok with our
>1" drops.  Still makes me think.

Now, I understand your reasoning, but its not quite accurate. There is no
change in axial play in or out of the CV. There is built in play on both
ends of the inner and outter CV joints so altering the suspension wont cau
se any additional wear.

In theory, if you've got a set of older CV's and then lower a car, I guess
the wear areas on the CV's will change to a new area. OK, so then you get a
little longer life out of the CV's! Id say thats a bonus I sopose.
I sopose!

Hey, you know, im thinking about removing my rear seats and putting in a
1000 watt system and still make a little padded comfy seat area for my dog.
I figure the added weight back there can help a bit. (how much weight do
 you think it would be?) Then when im on the autox course and hit a cone,
the radio will be SO LOUD that they cant call it in over the radio! That
would be Koulll!

Shawn
<Mnnn coffee is STRONG this a.m.!>