Re: Jamex suspensions

FREE41@aol.com wrote:

> This is a question for the group.  Have any of you guys had any experience
> with the Jamex suspension.  Contemplating purchasing the setup and wanted
> some info on performance. Thanks

	Alright, this is straight from my Dec 96 Max Power mag:

JAMEX
Price: (approx.) $514 (U.S.) This Keen price has made Jamex one of the
most popular kits on the road.

Ride Adjustability:  Non-adjustable.

Objective: The Jamex setup hung on longest before breaking away under
cornering, with a lateral acceleration reading of 0.88g.  The body roll
angle was reduced by 26.7% over OE to 4.65 degrees - the third best
result here.
	The weight distribution was almost identical to the OE suspension, and
the ride height was dropped 34mm/38mm left and right front, and
25mm/24mm left and right rear (you do the math, I haven't got a ruler
handy).

Subjective: The Jamex gave a very soft ride which is comfortable for
motorwatsys, but not on a fast bendy road.
	The car tended to dive under braking and understeer on turning-in.
This understeer continued right through the corner and was accompanied
by some wallowing and back-end roll.
	On the limit all these problems were accentuated and it was difficult
to know when to put the power down.
	Overall, it's good for main roads, but not so confident on quick and
tight corners.

	STRAIGHT LINE STABILITY   90%
	BRAKING STABILITY	  60%
	DIRECTIONAL STABILITY	  40%
	CORNERING STABILITY	  50%
	HANDLING ON THE LIMIT	  40%
	OVERALL DRIVER CONFIDENCE 50%

	This test included : Bilstein, Swift Aktiv Sportkit, Koni, and Pak-Spax
Kit.  The winner was Spax, and the runner-up was Koni.  Of course, this
is only one mags opinion, but at least it's a *somewhat* educated
opinion.  BTW, the car that was tested was the Astra Sport.  Once again,
a car you will most likely never see on North American soil.  HTH!

jason
87 16V