Re: "Sticking" gears????

At 01:52 PM 5/22/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I put in a used 4K tranny in my 85 back in February. The guy I bought it
>from (for $220) said it was off a an 84 GTI and had 80K only and he drove
>it before he took it off the car. I really doubt that, as the round
>posts of the shift linkage (that the plastic ends of the small arms snap
>around) had a lot of rust on them. That tells me right there that the car
>had not been driven recently.

This wasnt from a guy in Texas was it? I had a similar expereince recently and
ended up having to rebuild and replace many parts in the tranny.

>Anyway, I put it on, and it has produced no problems except it was kind
>of hard to take it out of 3rd or 5th (really mild, but I could feel it).
>----------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------------
>Is this "sticking" of the gears a symptom that has been seen before? What
>am I to do. I am already thinking about emailing the guy who gave me the
>tranny and complaining to him.

First, the sticking is not a result of the clutch cable if you have some slack
on the pedal. One way to easily disprove this theory is to jack up the front
end with both wheels off of the ground and start the car. Put it in gear and
hold the clutch in. Dont let it out! Have somebody look, or use mirrors to see
if the wheels are spinning. They may rotate a little but, thats ok. They
shouldnt spin much with the car in any gear and the clutch fully depressed.

(*NOTE* allowing the wheels to freewheel with the car off of the ground could
damage the CV's.)

My problem with my tranny was that it would sometimes stick in 3rd. It would
take me a little while to yank it out of third until one night when it locked
itself in third permanently. I used my FF tranny for spare parts and ended up
using the main shaft, 3rd gear, and a few other less worn parts as well as all
new synchros to make one good tranny. I was lucky in that through the
Potterman, I found somebody who has got 25+ years building VW Trannies. I got a
great deal and alot of piece of mind knowing it was done right.
I hate buying used trannies...
HTH!

Shawn