Re: Alt idiot light.

NJScirGTX@aol.com wrote:

> How do you know what it's chargeing at gauge in car or Voltmeter?
>
> NJScirGTX
> Steve Toughill (NJ soon)

Have you checked the voltage with a good digital VOM at both the battery
, and the output of the alternator ?
Check the voltage under conditions of idle, high RPMs, with lights on,
lights off.

I found the voltage at the battery to be lower than at the alternator.
There was .5 volt lost the ground cable alone. Some, though less, loss
in the positive cable. This does make a real difference to the battery
and system.

The steel bolts holding the alternator to the aluminum mounting bracket
had been reacting with the aluminum, trashing the threads somewhat. I
cleaned them up with a wire brush, and used anti-sieze compound on them.
All the connections and bolts were tight, but I still had the .5v loss!

So, i installed some 8 guage welding wire with nice copper ring-lugs at
the ends, (found in my hell box), between the alternator case and the
battery ground battery-post connector. Did same for the positive output
and battery-post connector.

Volts are up, lights brighter, starts better, runs a little nicer, and
my teeth are whiter, too. ;-> Well, maybe the brighter lights make'm
look that way.

I've heard some mention of this porblem in this NG before, thanks folks,
so this may be endemic to these soulful streakin' sleds we love.

Roccin' Ronagon
88 16V (13.79V at battery, now)
88 Vanagon (VoltsWagen?)
El Sobrante, CA

-
ÚøÛ ÙøÙ žøž ÚøÙ ÙøÛ žøÙ € ËøÈ  ÍøÍ ©ø© ÆøÆ Ú°Û •ø•    –