Cooling fan problems (again)

Well after I replaced my cooling fan thermoswitch, I thought my
fan problems were solved.  After going for a quick highway test
drive and returning, I left the car idling until the temp needle swung
to the 3/4 position, at which point the fan came on.  Woohoo,
problem solved.  Or so I thought...

Over the last week my car has overheated 3 times, and every time I
checked the fan and it's not running.  I'm going to clean the contacts
to the thermoswitch this weekend but I'm wondering if there are other
possible culprits.  If my thermostat was failing would it also cause
the fan not to come on?

Thanks

Tim

'88 16v Tornado Red