Re: Wester Rally

At 09:05 PM 5/9/97 +0800, you wrote:
>On  9 May 97 at 15:16, Shawn C. Meze wrote:
>
>> Better yet, make it a Seattle to San Diego run! (or verse vise) That
>> way you can hit Portland, San Fran, LA. and other interesting places
>> inbetween. Make it coast run? Do you have a timeline set yet?
>
>How long does it take you to get up here Shawn?  It's 1270 miles
>from Seattle to San Diego.  Now we're talking about making several
>stopovers along the way.  Even this is getting to be a nice little
>vacation.  Unless we meet halfway??

My automap program says if you can drive at an average speed of 80 mph (and
not stop, heh) it will take just under 16hrs. 1270 miles is about right. it
can easily be done in 2 days. Figure 600 miles a day or so. We did it in
about 23 hours total driving time I believe. (stops for fuel, eat, stretch,
beat the kid, ect.)

Figure in a bunch of stops (I have no idea as to what & where a stop could
be planned, but, who knows. Maybe EC would like to get involved? PBTHH!!)
and it could easily take 3-4 days, each way. Especially with a bunch of
slow pokes following me.  :)

Hmm, maybe we could check a few speed shops (aka TUNERS) and see if they
would be interested in participating somehow in a Scirocco Rally.
(Scirocco's only so far, right? I dont recall any other makes yet. Of
course, they're all welcome!) Who knows, this MAY become popular again,
like it was in the 60's. <Shrug>

>The idea of Arizona is cool, but I don't think I have enough time to take
>off from work.  I'd love to do that, as I have a daughter in Tucson, but
>don't think it's practical.  I just checked Tripquest, it's 1512
>miles Seattle to Phoenix, not as far as I thought, but still quite a
>hike.

The only bad thing about going to Az is gonna be the heat. (once you get to
Phoenix or Tucson) Anybody have an idea as to a better west coast
start/finish points and also waypoints?

Shawn