Re: Steering Wheel rattle during idle

At 11:18 AM 5/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have trouble with the steering wheel rattling during idle.  I don't think
>that it is related to the engine mount problems with the 16v.  The rattling
>goes away when I push down slightly on the steering wheel.  I have tried
>tightening up the steering wheel, but that didn't work.  The steering also
>seems unstable when I hit bumps going into a turn.
>I use to own a rabbit a few years ago, and it seem to have suffered from
>that same problem.  If it is the steering column, what do I look for?  I have
>only done minor repairs to cars in the past, so I don't have the experience
>to know what to look for.  But I am more than willing to do what is
>necessary.

I've fixed this problem in my Scirocco just a few months ago. Basically, it
requires that you remove the steering collum out of the car and replace the
brearing that has fallen apart. This little project is actually easy to do,
but can seem very complicated. (Sure, now that i've done it, its easy...) It
can also become a problem is you compress the steering collum shaft and dont
have a long enough rod to pound it out again. I had to modify an old shift
lever arm to do this task for me. You also need some type of bearing puller.
Something that can get a grip on the old race that is still in there. Its
gotta come out or the new one wont go in.

A quick fix I used (for months until I couldnt stand the noise anymore and
finally replaced the damn thing) was to take a small hose clamp and put it on
the shaft to hold the part of the bearing up into the collum housing. This
works, but not as good as simply replacing the bearing.

I love the solid feel on the steering I now have with the new bearing in
place. (To go along with all the other parts ive replace, its almost a new
car!)
HTH!

Shawn

DOH!
Well, this is an afterthought but have you checked the little metal tang on
the back side of the steeringwheel which makes contact with the steering
wheel? It could be squeaking.