Re: Oil Light Update

At 03:20 PM 5/7/97 EDT, you wrote:
>as has been said get the pressure checked at the head.  I have seen
>thicker weight oil stop many lights from coming on and I would recommend
>checking pressure anyway.  Oil pumps have been known to go but the light
>problems usually seems to be sender related. poor Ground wires to the
>engine/battery also make the lights come on unnessicarily (I cant spell,
>ok) but that usually causes the lights to come all or most of the time.
>
>Kyle

Oil pressure lights (or I should say the occurance there of..) are a fairly
common problem in our VW's. (Sad to say) My very first problem with my Scirocco
when I first got it was the oil pressure light comming on at a certain RPM. At
the time I was oil illiterate and used what dad used, 10-W-40. Come to find out,
thats for colder climates and its much too thin for my car. So, I learned about
oils and what it is they do and discovered 20-W-50 to the the hot ticket for my
car. (all that viscosity stuff and all) It did help stop some of the buzer noize
for my car. The oil pressure was within specs, new pressure switches, new
connectors, new oil pump, everything new. Still, I would get the buzz from time
to time. Lucky for me, the 1.7L spun a bearing (Not bad for a cheaply rebuilt
motor, 2+ years and 30,000 miles and driven hard!) and I opted for the 1.8L JH
upgrade. I've not had a single buzzer since swapping to the new motor. Now that
I have a permanent oil pressure gauge in the car, at idle I have 20lbs and
driving I have 60+lbs pressure using 15W50 synthetic.
So, the point is, in my case, the engine was likely the problem for the buzzing
oil pressure light comming on. Once you've replaced everything related to the
oil system, there is only one thing left to change.
HTH!

Shawn