Re: Rebuild or 2.0 16v?

At 8:41 PM -0700 03/27/1997, Renato D Piereck wrote:
>My Rocco 16v is starting to get old. Yes, I feel like the engine doesn't
>have as much power as before. Does anyone know how much is the
>approximate cost of rebuilding (on a shop, I don't have the time) my 1.8
>16v, buying a rebuilt 2.0 16v or an unrebuilt used 2.0?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--Ren

Well, lets see, I just priced labor at a machine shop locally - did'nt shop
around, went on recommendations from other autocrossers.

Head/valvejob was $150 - decking the head, installing new seals/guides,
stock valvejob.  I brought them a bare head, no cam.  Probably be more for
your car, maybe $200?

Gasket kit was $80 from Velocity, plus got head bolts, guides.  Total cost,
$130 shipped.

This will result in a like new head.  I hope;).  No porting or polishing,
oh, valvesprings were $50.

So, call your valvesprings $80 (dont know if the 16v has 2 per valve like
the 8v), $200 labor/machine work, $280 +130 for gaskets, that's $410.

To bore/hone the block and mill it down a bit will be $180, including
hottank and magnaflux for cracks.

$100 for bearings???
$80 for rings??
$50 more for the rest of the gaskets?
$40 for an oil pump?
$?? to balance?
Pistons?
Clutch?

I have a "do it all while apart" philosophy.  I might not have had to
replace valve springs, but I am.  Hate to find out the hard way.  The head
is done, when I do a shortblock, I'll feel OK about putting that head on
top of it.  Might have the seats "freshened."  Who knows.

A friend just had a 16v put in his 84 Scirocco - he got screwed, cost him
close to if not more than $3000.  $1200 for the engine, then the rest in
residual stuff - clutch, parts, labor.  This was through a shop, basically,
he went to a place that works on VWs, said "I want a 16v" and they said OK.
Yikes, but I'd plan on spending 2k to get a shop to do all of that, whether
it be rebuilding your engine and installing it or buying a shortblock,
cleaning up the head, and labor.  Not cheap, unfortunately, especially if a
shop does it for you.  How's your clutch?  Motor mounts?  Hoses?  All of
this stuff adds up.  I mean, my head is the better part of $350 and I'm
installing it myself.....hope this helps.  Plan on  the worst, hope for the
best.  I've done a few jobs like this, and there is ALWAYS something else.
Dunno, OTOH, shop around - a guy here had a G60 put in his GTI for $500
labor or something ridiculously cheap like that ($800 for the engine, got a
deal).  Still, that's $1300.  Then the charger exploded.  Bummer.

Mannix

It gets spendy, fast.  Plus $40-50 an hour to put it in.

Someone else said they have seen used 2.0 shortblocks for $250, this might
be a good way to go, with your head