Re: Bumpers, related

At 22:25 3/20/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I don't know if this applies here or even if it's just an urban legend but
>I've heard that a compressed bumper shock can spring back with enough force
>to cause injury.  Can anyone verify this before I spread yet another rumor?
>
>Wonder if the force from one can blow out a candle?
>
>b---------

A friend who is a volunteer fireman here told me that they (firemen) will
NOT stand directly
in line with a bumper on a car on fire. Some US bumper shocks are filled
with fluid
under pressure, just like gas struts. When they get overheated, they go off like
a mortar and launch the bumper hard neough to break a leg. NOT a myth. Don't
know
what the case is with VW's of newer vintage. Earlier ones looked like they might
use this principle, but I never opened one up.

Never heard of one just 'popping' without the heat, though. If you stand to
one side,
you should be safe in any case.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net