Re: Ignition/coil stuff.....

>At 12:25 AM 3/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Iv'e never seen a hot coil burn a hall sensor but ya never know!!
>>Haven't had much experience w/ MSD but you may want to consider the NOLOGY
>>
>>coil amp. Shawn tried it & liked it & Iv'e had one on my 16v for quite a
>>while. There perty cheap $52.95. The wires & plugs work good to it just
>>adds to the $$$$
>

>Ya, I tried it & liked it.
>I liked the gains so much, I went ahead and got the wires and Silverstone
>plugs. I liked them too.

FWIW, I have a complete aftermarket ignition in my car - a company here is
working on producing ignition systems primarily for race applications, they
put one together for VWs, and my car became the test bed.  So far, so good
- it includes a coil, wires, plugs (goofy NGKs that have had some
additional work done to them), and a spark box.  It is called "Secret
Ignition."  Basically, it "blueprints" the ignition system, making sure
that all aspects of the ignition are working together.  Seat of the pants
says it works, but that's not enough, right?  Right.  It is going on the
dyno soon (keeps getting postponed for one reason or another), at which
time I'll have hp/torque numbers comparing stock vs Secret.

The Hall sensor does not seem to care about the coil, so far - the coil has
been in the car for 3 months.  No problems yet.  I asked the guy who
designed the ignition, and he says that yes, the wrong coil could kill the
Hall sensor - I don't know what makes a coil "wrong" or "right," but I'll
find out more.

He tried Bosch plugs for his little experiment, and they supposedly wore
out quickly.  NGKs proved to be the best.  I have no complaints so far.

The car runs better with the ignition, cold start is better, idle is
smoother, etc.  Improvements can be felt throughout the range.  We shall
see what those improvements are.  Maybe psychological, I don't know.

It is somewhat expensive, don't know the exact number yet, but less than
$500.  Its intent is more for people looking for that last bit - as you've
all noticed, hp gains start costing more and more - exhaust, cam, t/b, then
you're looking at significant cost to get a little more power - in this
light, it is a deal.  If it gives me 4-6 hp, I'll be happy.  In my car's
current state, 4-6hp is not easy/cheap to come by, especially considering
rules.  In this light, it is pretty cheap for what you get, compared to
what one can do. Gas mileage has improved a little, not sure how much, but
some.

Installation is easy.  Everything bolts in, you have to mount the coil/box
somewhere, but in the 2 vws it has been installed in (mine and MarkBs), it
was easy.

I'll know more about it later, more specifics, more numbers, but before you
discredit ignitions for VWs, watch out for my post dyno story - I'm pretty
excited about it, it gave me a boost I could feel, whether it be throttle
response/torque or sheer power - I've run the car on the stock system
since, and oh my, it makes a difference.  It is something that one should
do after all of the other stuff - it'll  make a difference on a stock
engine, but like a cam, it operates better when all the other stuff is done
in conjunction.  I'll keep you posted!

Mannix