RE: Blinking water LED (and H2O gauge)

On  4 Mar 97 at 11:52, Tim Ebling wrote:

> Speaking of temperature gauge worries, is it normal for the stock
> temperature gauge to almost be pegged (but no LED on) when stuck in
> traffic after driving for a while at highway speed?  Mine does this
> (an '88), and my other Scirocco ('86) does it too.  I've heard that
> these cars are just prone to run hot, but I'd like to hear from
> other people about this too.

Mine does this too, just the way you describe.  It worried me at
first, but there doesn't seem to be any harm being done.  You can get
a low temp cooling fan switch to keep the temp down, but I've read
some debate over doing this.  Some feel that it won't run as
efficiently with the cooler temp.  Since the temp only climbs in
traffic at low speed, I'm not sure I see the logic to that.  The temp
never gets that high at highway speeds, at least not in my
experience.  I'm still deciding on the low temp fan switch, I'm
leaning towards getting it till I get a bit more input.

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA
(On Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound)