Re: DSP 1.8 mk1/Failing Tech

At 11:13 AM 6/27/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Just a thought - Tech inspections are to determine safety, right?

Mannix is right. Its a rather small safety inspection. They could do so much
more for safety issues but they dont. They cover the basics which include
things that have gone wrong on the track in past history.
In all actuality, its a good thing to have somebody else look through your car
to try and find a problem. Its easy to overlook some things.

>No one
>wants to fail you.  If I find loose wheelbearings, I'll either "fail" the
>car, or pass it and make sure the competitor tightens them.  I offer use of
>my tools, offer to help if the competitor needs it.  No one wants to fail
>you.  The tech people want you to run, and in my experience, will do
>everything possible to get you going.

In my world, this is true also. Everybody wants you to compete. The more the
better! The idea or theory is that everybody wants you to run as fast as you
can possibly go. They want to know that if they beat you, you have
been beaten. got it?
I find that rather interesting. When I get to the track (Usually pretty early)
I get setup and along the way, find and meet my fellow DSP drivers. We all
know each other and have a good time with the competative edge of i
t all. Were all friends in the pit.
Then even when we get on the grid. Were still friends, but we look at each
other a little differntly. When we pull up to the starting line, were bitter
enemies! THIS IS WAR!! Whe we cross the finish line, were all friends
 again. When its all over and we've compared times, and talked about the
tracks good/bad & the ugly points. Its just a ton of fun!

 I sure am glad im going racing this weekend..... im getting home/race sick!

OK, enough of my rantings...

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi