Re: DSP 1.8 mk1

At 4:32 AM -0600 06/27/1997, Jay Docherty wrote:
>I am going to be autocrossing my mk1 this weekend.  I would like to
>know which SCCA regulation allowed me to upgrade to the JH.  I
>scared of get to tech inspection and some guy who is not completely
>familiar with rules will make me race in Prepared or even Mod.  At
>which page number in the scca manual does it mention the update
>backdate rules?
>
>                                      Jay
>'80 Scirocco 1.8 8v

Glad to hear you're going to an autocross!  First thing, tech inspection at
an SCCA sanctioned event is for safety.  No rules or classing.  Safety.  If
you show up with a Bug and claim it is AM, well, fine.  The up/backdate
section is 14.10.C, on that page somewhere.  Basically, you can up/backdate
(in Street Prepared) parts out of any car on the same line.  The 8v
Scirocco(all) is what you can use parts from.

No one is going to look closely enough to see that you have a (legal) JH
engine.  Is this autocross an SCCA event, or is it put on by H2O?  Is it a
VW only event, or is it all sorts of cars, with H2O as a supporting entity?

If it is an SCCA event, your'e fine.  None of those guys know the
difference between a JH and a RD.  Hell, I've been asked several times if
my Rabbit is a 16v.  OK.  Safety. That's all they're looking for.  Make
sure your battery is tight.  Make sure your rear wheel bearings are tight
(#1 reason I fail VWs at tech - almost every new VW autocrosser has loose
rear wheelbearings).

If a tech inspector knows enough about VWs to see (bother to look) at your
JH engine, he'll also know it is legal.

What else have you done to the car?  Sounds like a SP car, unless you have
a cam.  Don't worry about the class first time out, Stock, SP, Prep,
whatever.  You probably won't win.  You will have fun, though!  So, tell us
what else is done to the car, just for giggles, but remember, the tech guy
is not there to tell you where your car is classed.

Mannix