16V Head discussion.

RE: Re: To bore, stroke, and breathe

> > I'm not quite sure I follow your statment? The 1.8l head flows
> > significantly better than the 2.0l head  (the port is 11cc larger on the
> > 1.8). The 2.0l head (due to its smaller port) will have more velocity at
> > low engine speeds, hence more torque on the low end). The 2.0l head can
> > be ported out exactly the same as the 1.8, it just takes longer to do it
> > as there's more material to remove. Tell your cousins friend to stop
> > talking out his butt, the 1.8l head responds to porting)
>
> Incidentally, I have the Techtonics Tuning Amazing Dyno Stories booklet
> right in front of me.  A couple of graphs compare their flow ported
> 16v heads with the 1.8 and 2.0 16v heads on the same graphs for both
> intake and exhaust.  I quote:  "...the 1.8 liter in its standard form
> out flows the 2.0 liter version."  for Intake ports.  For exaust ports
> I quote:  "Notice the 2.0 liter exhaust port was better than the 1.8
> by a fair amount."  The graphs are in CFM and valve lift.  At the high
> end of the exhaust graph (.500 lift) the 1.8 head is at about 125 CFM,
> while the 2.0 head is up above 142 CFM.  The 1.8 doesn't match the 2.0
> head until .200 lift at about 117 CFM.  The TT head of course flowed
> 30% better then anything else on the graph. Food for thought and grains
> of salt not included.

     Well, if the TT head is ported to have the larger intake ports like the
1.8 and the larger exhaust ports on the 2.0, would that not make up for the
difference that it made over either stock head?  Incidentally, why not just
port the 2.0 head to match the TT sizes and see what sort of an improvement
can be had.  Anyone have a Dyno of that data or similar?

     The probability is that it gives more upper-end HP than low end torque,
am I correct or is my memory failing me?

     Sean
     wildfire@albany.net
     SYSOP: BOB'S WORLD BBS