Re:prior msg on brakes

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:19:59 -0400 Jeff Gulosh <hooch@tez.net> wrote:

> If anyone noticed, I (john) just sent a msg on my miserable brake
> situation.  I sent this from my friends computer (hence the unfamiliar
> address), if not able or possible to respond by 11:15pm, please send all
>
>                     jbrubaker@amf.com
>
> This is my actual address at work.  I will be able to read any helpful
> info at 8:00am at the earliest.  Again, I appreciate any and all help
> you may give.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
> 80 Scirocco S

Hey John,
wasn't sure if this was Eastern or Pacific time so I'll send it to your work address as
well and the Scirocco list.  THAT should cover it =)
Anyway, the master cylinder replacement is a relatively easy task, expecially on the
uncluttered mk1 Scirocco.  I would say that this is most likely the problem.  You can
tell for sure to see if there is brake fluid leaking from behind the the cylinder and onto
the vacuum booster which is common.  The 82's master cylinder will fit fine too.  I
would do that if it's available and working well.  All you need to do is disconnect the
sensors on the side, then the brake lines (be careful not to bend them or they will be
a pain to reinstall.  Then undo the two bolts that connect the MC to the vacuum
booster.  OH!  FIRST you need to empty the brake fluid resevoir and remove that.  I
forgot about that.  I used a turkey baster and spit it into a tin can!  and that worked
fine for me.  After removal, bolt the MC to the vacuum booster and put on the
resevoir and install all but one brake line.  Then fill up the resevoir and have
someone pump the brakes so a bit of fluid comes out of the MC at the unconnected
brake line and do the same with each brake line and when done make sure their all
connected.  THEN bleed the brakes at each wheel.  This job is more of a pain the
more I think about it because of all the bleeding.  I hope this helps!  Any questions,
just email me or the list I'm sure

Josh Clark
Visit EXC's Performance Website at:
http://idt.net/~exc
(201) 726 0507

-We specialize in specialty European parts and
-wheels for VW's