Re: I hate VW Rear-Disc brakes!!!

> > Paul Krucke wrote:
> > >
> > >      Why, why, why, do my rear calipers always seize?  I am fanatical about
> > >      maintaining my cars which means everything works brakes/e-brake.  But
> > >      I cannot seem to go more than 1yr on rear VW calipers!
> > >
> > >      My Scirocco 16v has done it and now my GLi has done it.  I
> > >
> >         Are you sure you're not driving my car?  I haven't used my e-brake
> > since last August (I bought the car in June).  One day the thing just
> > seized up on me.  Is there some kind of upgrade that I can do?  I was
> > hoping to fix it up soon, but if I'm going to have to re-fix it again in
> > such a short time, I'd rather avoid the hassle.
> >
> > jason
> > 87 16V
> > --
>
> Same Here.  I have an 87 16v and I haven't used the e-brake since june
> 96!!
> I was thinking of just taking off the caliper and doing a rebuild, but
> I don't know if it would help, Anybody go any ideas for us???
>
> Etrik

Well, I've been there myself.  Except, I feel I brought the rear disc seize
down on myself.  I stored my car one winter with the handbrake activated.
Eewwww!  Please, no hate mail.  Anyway, I got what I deserved, but I learned
quite a bit in the process.  I ended up replacing both calipers with rebuilt
units, (along with discs and pads & wheel bearings, but that was for wear
related reasons) and the parking brake only worked on both sides for a
little while. Maybe a couple of months, it was enough for the car to pass
inspection so I figured that I take care of it the next year when I had
more free cash.  So, again, I replaced the caliper with no parking brake
action with a rebuilt unit, but it leaked.  Again I replaced the failed
caliper with a rebuilt unit, but the parking brake lever had no resistance
at all, and of course, didn't work. Having been beaten about the face and
forehead quite enough, I bought a new unit and have been quite happy ever
since!  Incidentally, the other rebuilt caliper has been working very well,
probably just a fluke. :-)

That was more then a year ago, but I don't drive in the winter so YMMV.

==Brett