Tech: Rack boot and Shocks

From: joshua14@juno.com wrote:
>problem solved already on the steering rack heat shield
>problem...What it was is when I got my car aligned they didn't
>center the rack and when you turn to the sharp right it pulls
>the left hand boot off, therefore bunching up the left hand boot
>pushing it up into the heat shield therefore ripping it
>prematurely.

We see all the time rack boots torn after a customer has an alignment
at inexperienced shops that are not familiar with the VW's. What
happens is they adjust the toe and do not hold the boot to keep it
from turning. So the boot gets all twisted and after a while tears
open. I have even had dealers do this and we sent the customer back
and made the dealer replace it under warranty. So if you ever get
your car aligned look at the rack boots and be sure they are not
twisted. If they did not tear you can just untwist them and be on
your way.

>Also, I just ordered 4 BOGE PROGAS struts for my 88 16v and I
>was wondering what you guys thought of them?

On A1 models we only would recommend the Progas if you are keeping
the stock springs or using sofsports. If your Scirocco is lowered
they will be too stiff and would recommend Turbogas. On A2 and A3
models the Progas work fine with lowering springs.

Anyways great list you all have going will try to pitch in once in a
while but with reading 3 list, the newsgroup, tons of E-mail and
trying to run ND my time is short. Keep up the great work and Shawn
you must type very fast as all your input is great !!

78 Turbo Scirocco (will be back on the road someday)

turbotim@newdimensions.com
http://www.newdimensions.com