Removing Gas Tank

Hi guys, I was told that I CANNOT remove the gas tank by myself.  Rather I
need to take the rear bar out.  I have a 81 Scirocco.  I was going to start
to take it out out but now I'm not sure whether or not to go ahead and do
it.  I have a Bentley manual and it says nothing about removing the bar.
Any one else take their gas tanks out.  Is it a easy task or what's the
scenario.  Thanks.

Sal
81 Scirocco with a dream..........
Toronto, CANADA (the home of the Canadian Geese)