Steering bearing fell out

	I noticed my steering was clunky and found that the lower steering
column bearing had fallen out.  There is a plastic ring and a bearing
dangling just above the universal joint.  I took a look at the Bentley and
it sorta tells me how to get the column out but not much on the actual
replacement of the bearing.  Can someone give me more details/pointers?
	The Bentley mentions drilling out a shear bolt to get the column
out and replacing it with a new one.  Is the shear bolt necessary to allow
the column to collapse when face meets dash?  If I have to replace it,
where can I get one?  Dealer?  Or will it come with the new bearing?  And
is the plastic ring that also fell out a reusable part or is it part of the
bearing's cage?  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what
is going on and should I try it myself or have a mechanic do it?  There, I
said it.  Thanks in advance, benton----