Engine Trouble

Arno-
I've also taken more from the list than I've been able to give- imagine my
current self-satisfaction, even if my advice turns out to be bunk.

I have a similar, but I don't think identical, problem.  (My prescription
for correction is cheap, so it's worth a try.)

I have an 84 GTi, 8V,  same engine as yours. Occaisionally, when I start it
up in the morning, it stumbles horribly when I step on the gas pedal.  The
tach actually drops when I press down.  The 'fix' for this problem is to
reach down by the relays/fuses and push the relays around.  Not an elegant
fix, but it always works.  I can imagine that this problem would make the
car impossible to drive if it weren't fixed.

When the problem gets too annoying, I guess I'll pull out the wiring
diagram and solve it.

I hope this helps (HEY! I just figured out what HTH stands for- what a dope
I am!)

        -Ed.

84 GTi, it's a beauty.