RE: A/C

At 12:20 7/17/97 -0600, you wrote:

>>Brian
>>88 White Scirocco 16V
>Writes....
>
>>Assuming my system is OK and all i really need is a recharge and 3 new
>>pounds of freon(at $40 per pould...ouch!) then i would consider
>>converting the system to R134.  I found a guy who said he could change
>>it over for no more than $325(assuming the condenser and compressor are
>>OK).  All he would have to do is change the reciever/dryer and the
>>hoses.  What do you guys think?  Has anyone changed their systems over
>>from R12 to R134?
>

>Well here's my current experience with the same situation:
>
>A/C doesn't work. So I take the Scirocco in to the Dealer for a recall on the
>gas tank, and have them check the A/C problem, 'cos I have a 15% off coupon.
>They tell me that the high pressure valve is leaking, but (more important) the
>control unit is not engaging the compressor at all. The compressor works,
>because they were able to "jump start" it.
>
>So, the Dealer sez $520 to replace the control unit, and valve, plus whatever
>the freon costs! Bite me....  I ask them how much it would cost to convert the
>system to R-134. The guy goes off, asks a mechanic, and comes back with $25!!
>No way. Fearing the worst i ask him to confirm that. 5 weeks later (this
>morning), when the recall part finally comes in(!), I take the car in, and ask
>about the conversion. Now they tell me $1200!!!! Holy Crack Smokers!!
>
>They are providing me with a detailed estimate on the conversion, so I'll post
>it tomorrow if anyone's interested, or just email me if only a couple of
>people want it.
>
>rich

Just read about another replacement for R12 - it's called FRIGC or FR-12,
and is supposed to drop into R-12 cars with just a fitting change and a
warning label for the next mechanic who works on the system. Has anyone
heard of this stuff? My '83 needs a new condenser and drier, and a full
charge, so if this is good stuff, it might be a better deal. The article
said it's made by Interdynamics General, sold by Pennzoil, and installed by
Jiffy Lube - but I would put it in myself, if I could...

Sending this again, as the email returned it...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (new paint!)
'58 Ghia Convert