Ignition Control Unit

Anybody know if there is really any difference in the ICU's from my 87 16V
Scirocco and my 83 GTi.  The part #'s are the same except for a "D" at the
end of the 87's.  The part #  from the 83 Jh is 211 905 351 and like I said,
the 87's has a D.  I have an extra one of these laying around and am hoping
it will work for me.  If not, O well.  Thanks in advance.
DANMAY
8716VScirocco
83GTi