Re: Transmision wowes!

> >	FRIG!  Now ya tell me!  Any other money-saving tips, oh
> >rich-of-knowledge-but- poor-of-timing one?
> >
> >jason
> >87 16V
>

> Yup! Dont go out and buy a tool or part until the rich-of-knowledge-one
> has spoken!  :)

No, I'm not the rich-of-knoledge-one, but you may want to consider
replacing the flanges that the CV joints mount to. After a few miles of
spirited driving, it is typical for them to develope some play on the
splined shafts of the diff. This play allows the flanges move around just
a smidge, this greatly affects seal life. If there's enough play, new
seals may not even do their job, and leak imeadiatly.

To check for this condition, lift and support car, crawl under and grab
an axle in each hand, give a little tug back and forth, watch for
movment of the flanges. Make sure it is not bad diff bearings, if so, you
may be better off buying a another tranny...

Later,

Brian