Noisey lifters 16V?

I am looking at a 1990 2.0L 16v  Passat GL Variant (wgn) with 100K mi.  I
may put the block in my Scirocco but I would drive the Passat for about 2
years first.  I have lots of big parts and toys to move and I would like
some history on the new/used 2.0 first.  The DOHC head sounds like Kink*
clunk* Ping.Kik * *Kink *clunk *Ping .Kik*. It sounds like a piece of metal
is inside the engine being whipped around and rattling off the walls. It's
a is constant noise from idle. The Passat motor  pings too. I bet plugs and
OXO sen would fix that.
The second owner (or should I say driver) drove the car with the oil cap
off one day and decorated the motor with oil too ( Stupid Lube did not put
it back on). He has only had the car for 9 months and I don't think he
knows how to open the hood.

My 1.8 16v DOHC head sounds great.

My question:
Is this (*R*clunk*Ping.K) normal or would a major valve job be in my
future?
It sounds like a bunch of noisey lifters. Could the cams be off a notch?
The owner may have put in a new cam chain or just a belt. He is not sure
what the dealer did on his car.
I wish he knew what a motor was, I would feel beter about it.
I have seen other 16v Sciroccos make this sound and I thought the head was
not 100%.
What do you think. The car is not expensive and the body is mint.

Thanks
Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco GTX