I have to bitch.

I am very upset.  Waterfest 1997 is in three days.  I am supposed to
leave in two.  I just found out that my car will not be going.  There is
a strange noise coming from the engine.  We're not sure yet what the
problem is.  I took the car to my mechanic who was just as puzzled as I
with regards to what this noise is.

	However, two very possible culprits right now are some wearing of the
cam chain, or a trashed valve spring.  Here's the scoop on the sound.
It sounds like a piece of metal is inside the engine being whipped
around and rattling off the walls.  It's not a constant noise from
idle.  In fact, if I shift all gears at around 2200-2800rpm, I don't
hear the sound.  Anything after that usually starts it up, although even
then it's a very inconsistent happening.  It could click once or twice
or for five seconds.

	It honestly sounds like a screw or some small metallic object is being
tossed around like a roulette ball.  My mechanic says that this is a
first for him with regards to vdubs, so he can't say for sure.  Just to
be safe, I am going to drop my oil pan to see if there is anything to
see, the gasket needs changing anyway.

	***BTW, the guy at the VW dealership told me something about the cam
chain not having guides or something like that.  Anybody know what I'm
talking about?  TIA!

	Now I gotta find me someone who wants to give me a lift down south.
What a shite purdicament!

jason
87 16V