Re: '80 1.6L red line?

At 02:15 PM 7/1/97 -0400, you wrote:

>We've been racing a 1980 Scirocco with a 1.6L with no major engine mods,
>and I'm really starting to turn it hard (6400 RPM) at the end of the
>straightaways.  With lower profile tires (next on our list) it's going
>to be turning even more.

Well, for a completely stock 1.6L you can safely turn 6400 but only for a
short time. Thats pretty high for that torquie little motor. You may want to
consider changing the 5th gear if you go with the smaller tire size.
(Depending on what you have and can change to, ect.)

>The tach that came with it was not original, so I have no idea what the
>"factory suggested" red line is.

Factory suggested redline doesnt really mean anything as far as each
individual motors concearned. Its just a reference point. The real redline
should be where the hp and torque curve drop off. Theres no point in reving
it higher than this. Now, as far as running a stock and old 1.6L hard, you
will have power drop off's due to the valve springs floating. Thats probably
the first thing you will notice. That pretty much hammers the valves pretty
hard. Ive never heard of a motor blowing at high rpms with failures anywhere
other than the valve train and/or cam failing.
Use the little sensor in your butt to tell you when the motor quits pulling
as your redline reference. Thats a good reference point when you dont have a
dyno! (If you race it, then you know what im talking about!)

>Any ideas on just how hard we can push this thing?
>If you're interested in our racing, check out:
>   http://www.mindspring.com/~hruska

WOW!! Great page! Its not all cluttered with crap like mine is! You also
write very well. I read every word and was even looking for more! I cant
believe you dont have a pic of your victory circle? Congrats on your first
win, may it be one of many!
With the head gasket leaking like it is, its only a matter oftime before it
lets loose completely. How long until it does, I dunno. Could be next race,
could be next race 5 years from now. Id say just run it and while tha
ts going on, find yourself a used head and get working on it. I dont know
what the rules are in the class you run in but im sure you can P&P the head?
If not, im sure you can at least port match the head. You could be slo
wly building it until this one blows. Its really nice to have spares laying
around you know!
I completely envy you! Is this a Nascar sanctioned event?
I live not 3 miles from the El Cajon Speedway. its a 3/8's  mile paved oval
nascar track. They have a Pony Stock class but you have to drive a domestic
car to race there. (Sorry, not interested in driving a ford..) It also costs
a fortune to race there too. $14 per person and $50 per car. Its just out of
my budget right now but it sounds like you got yourself a heck of a deal on
that Scirocco you race! How much do you have in it, if you dont mind me
asking?

Maybe I need to move to Raleigh, NC so I can race in the roundy-rounds! All I
have access to here in San Diego is Autocrossing and the ocasional road
racing at Buttonwillow or Willow Springs. It costs me $250 to roadrace! ACK!

Anyways, back to your car, what are the rules of do's-donts that you can
modify on the car and what have you got in the car now? (Suspension pieces,
ect..)
TTYL!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!!!