Re: VWs

Wotherspoon (Kaposvar)) writes:

><< Subj:	VWs
>Date:	97-01-26 07:28:38 EST
> From:	bbrs678@barms120.b-r.com (Euan Wotherspoon (Kaposvar))
> To:	SailingFC@aol.com ('SailingFC@aol.com')

> Sir - I saw your note on the Scirocco web page & could do with some
> advice. I am about to fit a 1800cc 16V golf engine to my '84 Scir. GTI
> and am desperate for any advice. Esp. re: engine wiring loom, exhaust
> manifolding, etc. Also I need some advice re: clutch fitting. I intend to

> use my 8V g/box but have been told I will need to fit an 8V clutch to get

> it to mate to the 16V engine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> Spoon   >>

Sorry I haven't done any 8V => 16V conversions.  All my work has been on 8V
=> 8V.  I would say the 16V should fit physically into the '84 engine bay w/o
any problems.  The engine wiring,  exhaust, etc. will need more attention.
 I've heard of people going to junkyards and pulling the entire engine
harness out of a 16V and dropping it into the "new" car.  Studying the
Bentley manual electrical schematics for a 8V and a16V should be very helpful
too.  The clutch issue shouldn't be one,  both 8V's and 16V's came with 210mm
clutches at one point in time.  So overall size is not an issue.  That's the
extent of my knowledge on conversions of clutches.  'European Car'  in March
of 1994 had a 'technical procedure' article on clutch replacement.  Lots of
good information!  If you can't fine a copy, let me know and I can fax you
the article.  If you call any good aftermarket shop like 'Automotive
Performance Systems' in CA, 'VW Specialties' in CA, 'Techtonics Tuning' in OR
or 'New Dimensions' in CA, they will have answers for clutch conversions and
compatibility.  Exhaust manifolding and of course intake will be different,
also the air inlet plumbing and possibly the fuel distributor and injection
line plumbing.  I would say if you could take everything out of a 16V engine
bay and put it in the 8V bay that would be the most compatible setup.  That's
about all I can suggest.
You started asking in a good location.  This mail list is an excellent
source.  Lots of people doing lots of things to their VW's.  Keep checking
in.

Good Luck,
SailingFC@aol.com(Dick Wong)