  From: SMTP%hugacub@whidbey.net@eng.cabot.nf.ca
  To: CC938999@eng.cabot.nf.ca

  From: "Lisa & Rick" <hugacub@whidbey.net>
  To: mannix@ucsu.colorado.edu (I.Mannix)
  Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:43:21 +0800
  Subject: Re: Trans update, dealer's ok !
  Sender: owner-scirocco-l@mantis.privatei.com

  On 15 Jan 97 at 7:20, I.Mannix wrote:

  > Rick - the 4K is one of the original GTI transmissions, IE close
  > ratio, susceptible to self machining, does not sound like the one
  > you want!  I'd have thought that your transmission was a 4K or
  > possibly 9Y - what was it? Unless someone has put new gears into the
  > 4K case, it is not wide ratio. Best of luck, Mannix

  The one in my Rocco was a 9A.  It sucks that the 4K is a close ratio,
  cuz I may be forced to get it.  The dealer was hesitant when I asked
  if I could take my trans for rebuild and delay them putting it back
  in.  He'll let em know tomorrow if it's a go.  If not, maybe I can
  find another wide somewhere.  Where can I get a list of tranny codes
  for the wide ratios so I don't wind up with another close?

  > PS - I am with Randy - get yours rebuilt - you know where its been,
  > and you will know that the circlips have been fixed - you don't know
  > that with the used 4K - what's to say this won't happen *again*?  If
  > you do wind up with a close ratio tranny, 4k or 9y at least(dunno
  > the A2 codes), get circlips put into it.  It'd suck for this to
  > happen again!

  I had decided last night to do the rebuild.  All I need is for the
  dealer to give me the time to get it done.  I kinda think they will,
  but I need to have a contigency plan in case.  So I'll look around
  for a used wide ratio.  What I'm thinking of doing is getting the 4K
  if I can't find anything else and not returning the core.  They're
  only charging $50 for the core and then I can take it for the
  rebuild.  This spring or summer I can swap them back and sell the 4K.
  I really want the peace of mind of having a total rebuild and a 2
  year warranty.  Plus the guy has spare gears laying around and for
  another $25 I get a used tall 5th gear.  Can't beat that :)

  Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
  85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
  Oak Harbor, WA
  (On Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound)