Subject: Blown Timing Belt
Author:  "GREAVES, AMNA" <AGREAVES@eng.pria.com> at TGATE
Date:    1/10/97 9:25 AM

I believe that if you break/lose a timing belt while the engine is running
you stand a good chance of crushing your valves.  Since the timing belt is
what keeps the cam shaft and crank shaft in synch, when the timing belt goes
the cam shaft stops and the crankshaft, since it's still attached to the
tranny (unless you clutch, but it still has to slow down before it stops)
will keep moving the pistons.  Thus, if you have a valve in the open
position, and the cylinder comes up, you can crush it....

Unless there is enough clearance when the cylinder is at the top that it
doesn't touch the valve, but I would doubt this, especially on 16v
engines...

but, of course, I could be wrong....

what say you guys ?

a.