Re: Engine Swap in '82 - Update (Longish)

At 11:34 PM 1/5/97 -0800, Greg Baxter wrote:
>Behind the passenger side transaxle flange, there seems to be a
>substantially sized crescent-shaped hole behind the differential housning
>and the block.

Do you mean on the bell housing; rear of the starter?

>Timing: When installing the cam, I set it so that the dimples on the pulleys
>and sprockets all lined up.

The stock position is for the camshaft dimple to line up at the top
of the valve cover.  You can match this to the crankshaft set for
TDC.  If the flywheel has a TDC mark on it, you can match it this way
through the hole in the bell housing top.  Then, the intermediate shaft
needs to be positioned so that the distributor is pointing to the
wire for #1 cylinder.  There may be some advantage to altering the
camshaft position relative to the crank with your aftermarket cam,
but I would start with the dimple match.  The position of crank to
intermediate shaft should remain the same regardless.  You must
have the distributor in the correct position to get spark at the
correct cylinder, then you can vary that with the std dist adjustment.

>Something that just occured to me, where is the Tach cable? is it one & the
>same as the speedo cable? Cuz I don't remember taking a tach cable off of
>the tranny. Hmmmm.

There ain't one :)  It is done electrically through the backup light
switch contraption.

Miles Lott (http://www.insync.net/~milos)
KTXH Ch. 20 in Houston, TX :
Home of the Rockets!!!